Tuesday 30 November 2010

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

A great deal if the results of the BBC Radio National Short Story results are anything to go by. I am not saying that David Constantine's story wasn't good. It was and should be considering he is a well established writer. But I honestly think that such competitions should invite stories to be submitted anonymously. You can;t tell me that any judge whose eye clocks a name like this isn't going to have a slight prejudice, however much they might deny it to themselves. It is so hard to get any kind of foot on the ladder while there are some excellent writers still in the wilderness who are 'a name'. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet: a story should stand by its own merit and not be garnished with a writer with  track record of success. That's what I think, anyway. I'd be interested to hear other people's views.

No comments:

Post a Comment