Friday 19 November 2010

LIMBERING UP

Every week I attend a Pilates class and I always feel much better after it. But every week I dither about whether to go or not. There is so much to do with the day, the hours spent writing, of course, and the reading I need to do but never seem to have enough time. So I weigh up going to Pilates against an hour of reading. However, I know that exercising is important not only for the body but the mind too. Sitting for a long time at the computer tightens up shoulders and neck, Pilates gives you a lovely stretched loosened feeling.
Exercise is also part of the creative process. No ballet dancer performs Swan Lake without hours of practice. No footballer plays the Big Match without training. Writers need to keep limbered too. That's where the morning page comes in. The idea is to write, just write without censor, thoughts, feelings ideas every morning of your life. All this is preparation for the story, the poem, the novel. It is amazing what lies in the sub conscious and which emerges during the morning page.

No comments:

Post a Comment