Tuesday 9 November 2010

Unleashing the Imagination

Oh no! I her you cry ‘Not another blogger! Your finger is poised to move on. Give me a moment. What if I tell you that this blog is different? That you stand to get something out of it? I’m not going to use this space to drone on about angst, indulge myself in banalities. Life is a far too fascinating business for that.
Because I’m a writer this blog site is centred on the creative process but because I believe the act if writing is an organic process it spills over into living life creatively, too. I didn’t always think like this and the journey has been long and sometimes hard to reach this point of unleashing my imagination. It is a great feeling like discovering the very core of yourself. You stop comparing yourself with other people –there’s no need –you have your own ‘voice’, which is uniquely you
Many people scoff at those who live in their imagination. We are accused of being daydreamers. A boy friend of mine once told me: ‘It’s not enough to write, you’ve got to cook and clean.’ There is no ‘got to’ about it. Writing did and always will come first with me. But, when you live and work in an organic way it all fits in seamlessly. As the Zen saying goes: ‘when you walk you walk. When you talk you talk’ Concentrating totally on the activity you are doing allows time and space for everything. I’m still discovering that and it certainly takes the pressure off. And anyway, when you live the writer’s life every activity offers material, every experience; good or bad, transmuted by the imagination yields gold. My recent holiday on the island of Corfu climaxed in an almighty thunderstorm and streets flooded by rain. I never did the sightseeing I’d planned but the images of the people in that place on that day are filed away for future reference.
Interested? I’ll be writing more on unleashing your imagination tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment